Monday, December 19, 2011

Overcoming sadness

Since I've been quite lonely and a bit sad lately, I thought it appropriate to share some of my wisdom, or wisdom of others, rather.
I've discovered that picking myself back up from a collision of unfortunate life events can be a difficult and a rather frustrating process. It's hard to sort all of my feelings and make sense of what is going on in my life, and it's even harder to come to terms with the fact that the sorting takes time.
I've also found it challenging to describe how I really feel to others, not to mention to myself. I've been looking up so many quotes to help me with my sadness as well as my anxiety as a result of my depression, and it's surprisingly comforting to read what other people say about heartache and feeling lost or unsure. Reading quotes makes me feel a lot less lonely and also less stressed out; it gives me comfort to know that others have gone through similar hard times and they've made it through.
A lot of the quotes I am sharing are sad, but they are also beautifully said. I feel as though the best way to overcome sadness sometimes requires the truthful, albeit heavyhearted words to help with healing the parts of the heart that are still hurting.

Sometimes two people need to step apart
and make a space between
that each might see the other anew,
in a glance across a room
or silhouetted against the moon.
-Robert Brault

People change and forget to tell each other.  
-Lillian Hellman

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.  
-Flavia Weedn

Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go.  
-Author Unknown

“I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.” 
“If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart. I'll stay there forever.”
“I don’t feel very much like Pooh today," said Pooh.  "There there," said Piglet. "I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do.” 
-A.A. Milne
(All A.A. Milne quotes are amazing and make me smile.)


I know that life has it's rough patches and that I'll feel like myself again eventually. I can at least say that I'm lucky to be with family that I love and care about around the most wonderful time of the year: Christmas time!
I hope everyone gets to be with the ones they love, and if you're not yet, get there soon! In the meantime, let them know how much you love them, because one can never tell when someone may need to hear it. :)

1 comment:

  1. These are some touching quotes. Amy, I want you to know you are an amazing person beautiful inside and out. I have faith that life will turn around for you soon. Time heals all wounds, and when time doesn't go fast enough there's always the pantry to turn to. That's what I do. :)

    ReplyDelete